The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2026 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Notre-Dame

de Compassion

Eglise basse

Place du Général Kœnig, 75017 Paris
The Church of Notre-Dame-de-Compassion was put up between 1842 and 1843 by the Orléans family, right on the spot where Prince Ferdinand-Philippe of Orléans was killed in a road accident on 13 July 1842. Before long, it was decided to build a memorial chapel on the exact place where the heir to the throne had died. The design was entrusted to Pierre-François Fontaine, the official architect of the ruling families since the First Empire. Shaped like a cross, the chapel was built in a Neo- Byzantine style, with intersecting round stone vaults. The small columns that carry the ribs are topped with neo-Merovingian leafy capitals, and the round-arched windows are inspired by the Romanesque style. Listed as a historic monument in 1928, the church had to be moved 150 metres away in 1970 to make room for the construction of the Palais des Congrès. At that time a lower church and several extra rooms were added. In 1993, the chapel was raised to the rank of parish church and received a new name: formerly the Royal Chapel of Saint- Ferdinand, it became Notre-Dame-de-Compassion.
E6 This organ was built by Cavaillé-Coll-Convers in the 1920s for an unknown location. It was probably moved to its present location by Lalmand in the 1970s, at which time it was placed in a corner of the church behind a dummy façade (see photo) and severely modified. No further information about this organ is available.
Organiste titulaire Lorenzo Cipriani Concerts Occasionally Parish website Videos - Photos : Vincent Hildebrandt
192x - Cavaillé-Coll - A. Convers & Cie (1) 197x - Dominique Lalmand (3a)

II/17 -

Composition
Organs of Paris

Notre-Dame

de Compassion

Eglise basse

Place du Général Kœnig, 75017 Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2026 Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
192x - Cavaillé-Coll - A. Convers & Cie (1) 197x - Dominique Lalmand (3a)

II/17 -

Composition
E6 This organ was built by Cavaillé-Coll-Convers in the 1920s for an unknown location. It was probably moved to its present location by Lalmand in the 1970s, at which time it was placed in a corner of the church behind a dummy façade (see photo) and severely modified. No further information about this organ is available.